Thursday, October 31, 2019

Side Verandah Makeover: One Week Challenge - Week Five


It's week five of the One Room Challenge and this has been a productive week, a nice contrast to the week four slump.  I think finishing the stenciling was a major morale boost, as I can now begin to put things back on to the side verandah and begin to arrange the space.

I'm taking part in the One Room Challenge, a design event where 20 featured designers and countless guest participants transform a single space over 6 weeks.  Check out all the other great designs at the One Room Challenge blog.

Catch up with previous weeks of my side verandah plans
Week One            Week Two          Week Three             Week Four 


Before we leap into its current state, let's have a quick reminder of where it started - the side verandah in its initial cluttered role as a general dumping ground and storage area.
Back at the start of the One Room Challenge


Now here it is with the stenciling finished. It makes a tremendous difference. 

The stenciling done, finally! The neighbouring trees did their best to disrupt it. I had to constantly sweep before stenciling a new square. 
I adore the stencil pattern. The paving paint was very difficult to work with, and because the concrete, despite my patching, is still uneven in parts, the stenciling isn't perfect and I can see a lot of mistakes. The overall impression is fabulous though, and I'm just glad that it's finished, to be honest! 

A close up of the stencil pattern
It even makes the ugly gas metre corner look smarter

The area that I've been concentrating on this week is the 'working area' of the verandah. In my initial plans, I was going to repaint two existing old kitchen units - one a cabinet and one a dresser - into a storage cupboard and a potting bench.  While the dresser has turned into an excellent potting bench, the cabinet wasn't in great shape and while trying to clean it up it fell apart. I instead splurged on a new IVAR cabinet from Ikea.   

I painted the potting bench in left over cream and Brunswick green exterior paint from the last time the house was painted. As the green was for trim, it is a glossier finish than I would have liked, but I'm happy to have saved the money.  I had seen some kitchens on Pinterest with dark green cupboards and light shelves, so wanted to try that colour scheme.  I found the baskets at an op-shop, and I'm going to keep an eye out for more that are the dark colour. 
Potting bench beginning to be filled back up with my gardening gear.
(The second drawer is being repaired; it will be back by week six!)

The IVAR I painted in the Taubmans Blue Tang which I'd chosen for my mood board based on some art nouveau tile colour schemes.  I used their Sun Proof Exterior paint. I'm not totally happy with how the colour has come out, it looks far lighter and cheerier than I'd wanted - it doesn't help that the stencil pattern on the doors is in only one coat over a cream base -  but it is growing on me.  The stencil for the doors belongs to a friend who offered it to me, and I gratefully accepted. I wanted it to look like trellis panels set into the top and bottom of the doors, and I also added handles (salvaged from the previous doors of the kitchen dresser).  The IVAR doesn't need handles because of the way the doors are edged, but I want to be able to lock the doors as I will storing tools in them. 
A brighter Mediterranean blue than I'd planned, but it looks good with the other colours still. 


The boy wanted to 'pose'. 
I'm so happy with this work area!
I still haven't found the 'right' table and chair yet, but I have some 'not quite perfect' options that I can fall back on if it gets down to the wire. Although as it is only a week to go, I might be at the wire and not realise it yet!

6 comments:

  1. Holy mackerel! When I saw the picture on Instagram I honestly thought "Where did she find the perfect cupboard?". Now I know that you made it perfect! It's honestly stunning. And I love the light shelves on the dark cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a lovely compliment. I'm really pleased with how these two pieces have turned out.

      Delete
  2. Gracious! This is amazing! I absolutely love what you have done!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! While I still have a lot to do in the final week, I would be perfectly happy just with this much done honestly, it has made such a difference to the space

      Delete
  3. Love the way your floor stencil turned out. I know how difficult floor stencils are! And I believe you when you say you're happy that part of the project is behind you. But what an impact it makes, and if there are mistakes I sure can't see them. Your repurposed cabinet turned out beautiful too. Looking forward to the big reveal next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does make a strong impact - as does the stencil you used for your floor. So close to week 6!!

      Delete