I finished the embroidery quickly enough, although I decided to leave off the motto. The letters would have been too fiddly and I'm not sure it would have been completed in time.
|The embroidery almost completed.|
|It looks ok without the motto.|
The monocle was an panicky substitute - I'd hoped to be able to buy a gold coloured wire circle in a 2-dollar shop jewellery findings display, but could only find what I was looking for in silver. Eventually I used a gold finding I had lying around that was designed to be eyelet edging. The chain of the monocle is very fine crochet.
|A close up of the skull's monocle.|
|The collar under construction.|
The front is decorated with some gold braid and some cheap skull earrings that another member of the crew found.
|The skulls are earrings - $3! They give just the right finishing touch.|
|The back of the cape.|
|The front of the cape as a whole, showing the collar lining still, |
and hints of the rest of the lining.
I'm glad he got to wear it at least once. According to my spies at the event, the cape gathered a lot of comments, so I'm very happy.
You can read about the earlier stages of the cape and its embroidery here.